About UsOur History

A Uniquely Pittsburgh Organization

The Twentieth Century Club is dedicated to the purpose of creating an organized center for women’s work thought and action. The founders aimed to provide women with a center for intellectual pursuits and the promotion of science, literature and art.

Above the front door on Bigelow Boulevard, the Club motto is etched into the limestone along with the carving of Minerva, Goddess of Wisdom:

non nobis solum, sed toti mundo – not for ourselves but for the whole world

The Twentieth Century Club was founded in 1894 by Julia Harding. During a visit to Philadelphia that year, Miss Harding enjoyed visiting the New Century Club, a women’s organization where members gave lectures instead of using outside speakers. When she returned to Pittsburgh, Miss Harding met with Ann M. Phillips, Kate Cassatt McKnight and Mrs. William R. Thompson to rally local support for a similar organization. After the group sent out invitations, the overwhelming response led to the formation of The Twentieth Century Club.

A uniquely Pittsburgh institution, The Twentieth Century Club occupies a distinguished position in the rich cultural history of Pittsburgh. Its motto reflects its continuing commitment to women’s intellectual and social well being and service. In that tradition, during World War II, the Club served as a chapter of the Red Cross and members sold war bonds.

The Club first rented space in downtown Pittsburgh. In 1910, members purchased land at 4201 Bigelow Boulevard in Oakland and erected the first phase of their Club, a brick and terra cotta building designed by local architect George H. Schwan.

Twenty years later in 1930, Benno Janssen was hired to redesign the Club to include an addition which would double its size. Janssen was an eclectic architect versed in the academic styles in Pittsburgh and a principal in the foremost architectural firm in the city, Janssen and Cocken.

A new limestone façade enveloped the original building and the new expansion, reflecting the architectural style of the 16th century Italian Renaissance Revival, inspired by Michaelangelo’s Palazzo del Senatore in Rome. The interior, designed by Marian Green of Chicago and New York, included a ballroom which remains one of the best examples of Art Deco design in the United States today.

Our Club Today

History-1
History-2
History-3
History-4
History-5
History-6
History-7

DirectionsContact us!

40.4461524,-79.9564017

Contact Form

 


Call Us

412-621-2353

Information

The Twentieth Century Club
4201 Bigelow Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Tel 412-621-2353
Fax 412-863-8374

 

Locate Us

The Twentieth Century Club is located in the heart of Oakland and is easily accessible from all directions and major roads. Our four-story, 16th Century Italian Renaissance Revival building features a main entrance with a circular drive that graciously welcomes you.

Parking

The Twentieth Century Club refers its members and Club guests to two parking facilities an easy half block and a full block from the Club. Guests may park at:

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial This garage is located one half block to the south on Bigelow Blvd.

UPMC Parking Garage This garage is located 1 block to the east of the Club at Bigelow Blvd. and Lytton Ave. adjoining the Wyndham’s parking.